As we wrap up 2017, we send WARM wishes for the new year and a recap of our top blogs from this year:
1.-5. ABLE Account - Patterned after the 529 Savings Plans, the ABLE account was launched in Massachusetts in 2017. For families, it is important to plan and save for the future of your child with a disability, just as you would for the future of your typical child. Demographics point to a growing population of individuals with disabilities while the ability of the government to provide supports meeting the needs of all is limited. The ABLE Account is one savings option for families and individuals with disabilities to consider in their planning. Read ABLE Accounts: Ten Things You Need to Know . Also, our ABLE Case studies:
- Grandparents Gift to ABLE
- Protecting Social Security eligibility with ABLE
- How to Save and Control your Earnings
- Representative Payees Managing Income and Social Security Benefits
6. Protecting Your Personal Information Online- view this article about How to Protect Your Digital Life in 9 Easy Steps.
7. Managing Trust Assets- how to balance your fiduciary responsibility with the needs of beneficiaries. Read more.
8. Second to Die Life Insurance- An interview with our own Cynthia Haddad by Next Avenue, offers tips about special needs planning and specifically about second to die life insurance. Read more here.
9. Planning for College for People with Disabilities - We presented a webinar for Think College, Let's Talk About the Money: Planning for College . On the webinar is discussion of:
- Special Needs Planning Timeline
- Cost of a College Education
- Personal Resources, Savings, and Taxes
- UTMA, 529, 529(a), Coverdell, Savings Bonds, Taxable Accounts and Cash Flow, Gifts
- Public Resources
- Borrowing and ‘Gift Aid’
- State Initiatives
10. And last but not least, in 2017 special needs financial planning was recognized by the financial services industry by being featured in Investment News. We are proud to have been the cover story and featured story in their video on the topic. If you haven't seen it yet, take a look; you'll learn a lot about who we are and what we do. Click here to see the video.
Happy Holidays and a best wishes for a peaceful and prosperous 2018.